2023 SHORT FILM CONTEST
Cinevo is supporting the independent filmmaker community with our first annual short film grant competition.
No submission fees required.
Cinevo will be awarding a total of $20,000 in rental grants to students and professionals whose films are selected to win from fiction and nonfiction categories.
Any subject matter can be submitted – journalistic, narrative, music video, branded content – but should serve as a proof-of-concept you’d use the award to accomplish.
FILM COMPETITION RULES & GUIDELINES
DEADLINE: JULY 1, 2023
PLEASE NOTE: The same rules and guidelines apply to all applicants to ensure that no one film is favored over another. In a similar respect, Cinevo will only accept films that are submitted through filling out the registration form on this webpage below before the set deadline. Furthermore, upon submitting your film to this competition, you grant Cinevo consent and the right to display your film on any platform (including any digital ads, social media, and/or website) of Cinevo’s choosing and to show your film publicly at any future screenings.
2023 SHORT FILM CONTEST
– Films can be submitted into one of two categories for rental grant prizes – one is the “Student” category and the other is the “Professional” category. In order to submit to the Students category, students must be enrolled at an accredited academic institution and have proof of enrollment. Otherwise, please submit your work to the Professional category.
– Films submitted must be in English or have English subtitles at the time submitted.
– Films must be submitted as an uploaded, private video via online video hosting platform (Youtube or Vimeo) with a password-protected streaming URL. You will need to provide us the password for judges to view and download your film for promotional purposes.
– In the event of a password change or link change after submitting your work, you must email Cinevo at [email protected] immediately with that change so we may update your record. If Cinevo is not notified of the change and the link is found to be inactive or the password to be incorrect, the submission may be deemed ineligible.
– Films with US distribution (obtained prior to being selected for rental grant prize) or films produced, financed or initiated by a major film studio or television network are ineligible for competition.
– Projects that have been shot and edited at any point in time before July 1st, 2023 are eligible for submission.
– Films must have been shot/located in the mainland of the United States, Hawaii, Alaska, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and/or the U.S. Virgin Islands.
– You must include a cover letter briefly describing the short film (synopsis, pitch, etc.) in a few sentences as it relates to a larger proof of concept you would develop if selected for a grant award. Grants will be determined partially based on the quality of the greater concept being submitted. You should also include information about your specific role and/or title, the equipment used to create the film, and the principal photography shoot dates. Please do not submit your project without a cover letter or your film will be ineligible.
– Films submitted must be at least 3 minutes in length and no more than 15 minutes that serves as a proof-of-concept.
– Cinevo reserves the right in its sole discretion to reject or disqualify any ineligible, overtly inappropriate, or falsified entries.
– Cinevo reserves the right to change, modify, amend, or abolish any of the current rules displayed on this web page for any reason whatsoever.
ORIGINALITY AND PERMISSIONS
– Films must be the original work of the applicants. If a film is based upon another person’s life or upon a book or other underlying work, applicant(s) must secure any necessary rights to make such adaptations. However, it is not necessary to submit the adaptation rights agreements to Cinevo. Neither Cinevo nor its jurists investigates or attests to the authenticity of an applicant’s statement of authorship or rights secured. By entering the competition, you represent that you have secured all necessary rights.
– Applicants are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary rights and permissions for third-party materials included in their films, including but not limited to music, trademarks, logos, copyrights, and other intellectual property rights. Cinevo expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility for any violations of the foregoing.
SELECTED FILMS, WINNERS, & PRIZES
– Cinevo has no obligation to disclose any of the identities of screeners or judges or any internal information relating to the submitted project and/or details regarding the submission review or selection process. Any and all judging of entries is entirely at Cinevo’s discretion.
– Cinevo explicitly disclaims any liability or responsibility for any comments, notes, or opinions expressed about a submission.
– Winners will be announced on Cinevo’s social media platforms in the fall of 2023. The judges’ decisions are final.
– Winners receiving rental grants will be comprised of 2 student-only prizes of $3k grants, 2 professional-only prizes of $3k grants, and a final grand prize of an $8k grant, open to both students and professionals to win. An official screening date will be announced in October 2023.
2023 SHORT FILM CONTEST
HELP SPREAD THE WORD
For media inquires, please contact us at [email protected]
If you’d like to help promote our short film contest to your friends, family, and networks, anyone can help us promote this competition, as well as future events and activities linked to Cinevo. Please use #cinevoevents in your social media posts, or simply like and/or share posts containing this hashtag or any other reference to our contest.